What do CIOs rank as their biggest IT aches and pains? What are the average salaries of employees within IT departments? What is the impact of ITtention Deficit - the inability to focus on your core business? Find out in this infographic from ViaWest.
I really like this design, but the data visualizations need help. It’s obviously a promotional piece for ViaWest, but there’s nothing wrong with using an infographic that way. They have also made a high-resolution PDF available.
The story reads very easily from top-to-bottom with clearly separated sections. The icons for each sections are also amusing and keep the overall tone light-hearted.
The only issues I have with the design are the data visualizations.
- Don’t put 51% on top of a bunch of people icons, and not highlight 51% of the icons to go along with the numerical value.
- The two bars showing the data created before and after 2009 are actually two parts of the whole 100%, so this should be shown as a stacked bar. Why is this shown as two separate bars?
- Both of the office tower icon visuals in ITrauma would be easier to understand if they were a single row of building icons. The 93% is hard to understand visually since you can’t visually tell that 13% of the last building is shaded. In fact, it doesn’t look to me like the last building is shaded properly.
- At the bottom, there should be a copyright statement
- The design should also include the URL to find the original, high-resolution image on the ViaWest site so when people see this infographic shared on other sites, they can find the original.
Thanks to Todd for sending in the link!