The Process of Designing an Infographic is an interactive design that outlines my own infographic design process. My data visualization and infographics design company, InfoNewt, uses this process when designing infographics for clients, and I teach this process in my workshops and classes. The team at Visme.co created an interactive infographic version of it using the Visme design platform. Visme.co is a fantastic online design platform for infographics, presentations, reports and more.
Most of my designs follow this 5-step process:
- Data Research - Start with the data. What's the insight or story?
- Wireframe - Wireframe your story before you start any design work
- Design Concepts - Experiment with design ideas by creating rough concepts that visualize your data in a handful of different ways
- Iterate - Choose one design direction or combine a few different ideas from your concepts.
- Finalize - The final step is to finalize your design with the appropriate Copyright or Creative Commons license, and export the final design to a few different file formats as necessary.
You can embed the interactive infographic on your own site by using this HTML code: