GE is looking to hire a Leader of Data Visualization located in Fairfield, CT. It’s very interesting to watch the data visualization field become an official function within mainstream companies.
Although, I think the the job description should be an infographic instead of text for this one…
Job Number: 1182874 Date Posted: 08 July 2010 Function: Marketing - Advertising and Brand Marketing Business: GE Corporate - Corporate Commercial and Communications Career Level: Experienced Location: Fairfield, Connecticut, United States
Over the past year, GE has worked to build the brand and competitive advantage by using design to simplify complex data, i.e. data visualization. Examples of GE’s data visualization work to-date can be found on the healthymagination web site: http://www.healthymagination.com/stories/decoding-data/
GE’s data visualization strategy consists of four separate work streams:
- Developing proprietary data visualization applications to tell the GE story, focused on the pillars of the brand and advertising strategy: ecomagination, healthymagination, and innovation.
- Supporting communications and PR about flagship business initiatives with data visualization.
- Incorporating world-class data visualization into product design and user experience.
Developing an open source visualization site.
The Leader, Data Visualization will be part of GE’s Corporate Commercial and Communications team and will be responsible for execution of the corporate data visualization strategy, including the development of interactive data visualization applications and information graphics for brand building, customer-focused data visualization applications and ongoing support of the new data visualization web site.
GE businesses may also be managing Data Visualization projects independently. The Leader, Data Visualization will be responsible for providing consultative support to businesses working on their own data visualization projects.
Key responsibilities include:
- Interpreting data to develop a storyline and creative brief consistent with GE’s overall brand strategy and priorities.
- Identifying and obtaining GE’s proprietary data and relevant third-party data.
- Managing several creative agencies simultaneously, to ensure projects are aligned to the goals of the brand, on budget and on time.
- Presenting GE’s data visualization strategy to marketing, communications and design teams throughout GE.
- Coordinating timely launch of data visualizations across functions, including legal, IT, public relations.
- Monitoring discussion of data visualization in traditional media and blogsphere to identify emerging trends and new design partners.
- Managing awards submissions to ensure GE is recognized for leadership in visualization.
- Bachelors degree, undergraduate experience in design, advertising or communications.
- Ability to analyze and interpret large data sets.
- Strong design sense, ability to lead creative teams.
- Ability to work in a matrixed environment.
- Creative thinker who thrives in a collaborative setting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong project management skills with an ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work under pressure.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Must be a team player with an ability to work independently.