It is common knowledge among our tribe that June 20th is recognized as International Surfing Day so who better to celebrate then Kelly Slater, 11X ASP World Champion. In the spirit of ISD, we’ve created an Infographic comparing Slater to athletes from traditional sports who have made history and measured their achievements to our Champ’s. Have a look and decide for yourself if Slater truly is “The Greatest Athlete of All Time”.
Do you think Kelly Slater is “The Greatest Athlete of All Time”? If yes, share this with your friends and get ready for summer with a pair of Kelly’s Cypher Nomad Boardshorts.
Of course it’s difficult to compare athletes from different sports, but Kelly Slater’s surfing achievements are truly impressive. Despite being both the youngest and the oldest to win the ASP World Champion title, holding three Guinness World Records, winning 11 Would Tour Championships and winning events in 11 different countries, Kelly Slater has never been on the cover of Sports Illustrated. :(
Here are some of the design aspects that this infographic gets right:
- The key message is communicated within the first couple of seconds. Even if a reader doesn’t read the whole infographic, they will leave understanding the key message.
- Visually appealling with vivid, colorful images, but still easy to read top-to-bottom.
- Intergrated the visual brand style of Quiksilver using photos, with the data visualizations about his career.
- Good mix of different data visualization styles that are unique to the data they communicate
- The key parts at the bottom are all there. Data sources, brand logo, copyright statement and the URL to the original, full-size infographic.
The data for this design was the key challenge, and finding similar titles or awards in the other sports inspires discussion and debate among readers of the infographic. Whether it’s on Facebook, Twitter or blog comments, this design draws in readers and invites everyone to share their own opinion.
Check out the full-size infographic HERE, and you can voice your own opinion about Kelly Slater in the comments below.
Thanks to the team at Quiksilver for being fantastic to work with!